There are options for students to obtain financial aid while they are studying in the US. The students are also eligible to obtain the aid from the university in which they are studying. The most important factors which are to be taken into consideration are:
- The universities take into consideration the country from which you have arrived into US before deciding about your scholarship.
- The need of a student to cover his education, medical and insurance costs while he is in US.
- The educational level which a student has is also determinant in determining his level of scholarship. For example, undergraduate students are eligible to receive higher scholarships from universities. Some specific scholarships are reserved for such students only.
- Students who had higher participation in co-curricular activities during their senior secondary schooling years have higher chances of getting a scholarship.
- Certain courses are also more eligible to being chosen for scholarships than others.
- The grades observed during secondary secondary years are also determinant in determining the level of scholarship a student is likely to obtain.
The students need to apply with the financial aid office of their university so that their process gets started for this scholarship. The authorities at this office can inform you about the complete details of applying for such financial assitance.
Concordia college awards scholarships to international students based on their need and academic excellence. The amount of such scholarship is approximately 25,000 dollars a year. Apart from that, the Columbia college also awards financial aid to students based on their academic excellence. The scholarships are awarded on a lump-sum basis or as a reduction in the tuition fees by 15-20%.
Apart from there are certain financial aid programs which are funded by prominent financial institutions. Examples of such seminars are Joint Japan World Bank Graduate scholarships, AAUW international fellowships and Aga Khan Foundation international scholarship program.
Lets discuss these schools in detail:
- Joint Japan world bank graduate scholarships : This scholarships ensures that students are able to get scholarships if they have supervised them in eight specific universities such as, University of Chicago, John Hopkins University, Columbia University, Cornell University and Harvard University etc.
- AAUW international scholarships : This scholarships are awarded to those women in United States who do not have a permanent residency or citizenship status in this country. These scholarships are given to all those women who are either pursuing a graduate or undergraduate degree. These scholarships are given to those women who have shown academic excellence. Although these studies are only given for a year, out of the total, nearly five scholarships are renewed for a consecutive year also.
- Aga Khan Foundation international scholarship : This scholarship is awarded to all those students who have no resources to financially assist their studies. The students are awarded a 50% loan and the rest of the amount is given through a grant. This scholarship prefers students who are pursuing Masters and PhD degrees.
So, you can get US scholarships to study abroad which can ease up your financial troubles.